|OT| Apple Corner | I like MacBooks and I cannot lie.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Seems the iPhone that I have been paying for in the phone plan, was just a rental! So I have to return it, so now I'm using an almost decade old android phone and it sucks so much, worst is that I can't use my watch that I just got. My girlfriend is the best and gave me money for the initial payment for a new phone plan where I would actually keep the phone... but they won't let me start one now because now they suddenly have an issue with Swedish passports. Tried other phone companies but they in turn have problem with my financial state.

Reactions: NarohDethan

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
What the actual fuck - phone rentals is a thing? That’s insane!

No idea what your financial state is, but having spoken to people working in banks, having a pay in instalments loan (like Klarna or something like that) has become a major red flag to lenders in the last 6 months or so, so if you have something like that you may have difficulty borrowing from other sources in proportion to your current income.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
What the actual fuck - phone rentals is a thing? That’s insane!

No idea what your financial state is, but having spoken to people working in banks, having a pay in instalments loan (like Klarna or something like that) has become a major red flag to lenders in the last 6 months or so, so if you have something like that you may have difficulty borrowing from other sources in proportion to your current income.
Yeah you can't imagine the shock when I saw the monthly payments continue after it was supposed to end, so after calling support and such and getting it explained it felt like getting robbed. I can only blame my lacking French that I didn't actually understand the plan I signed up for. It never really occurred to me that phone rental was a thing, hell I even thought it might. be illegal lol

• Sad
Reactions: C-Dub
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I went to the store to pick up a phone but returned empty handed since Apple has fucked up price ranges. Normal 14 phones are 13 Peo but without the 120hz screen, and Pro line is so expensive I might just wait for 15.

I need to think this more thoroughly, since my plan was to buy a 14 Plus.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
is there a way to permanently run an iPhone emulator or something on your Mac? Just so I can activate my Apple Watch, I just got it as a gift and really want to use it.
Only individual apps, but not a whole iPhone. Considering how integrated Watch is to iPhone, you’ll have to wait sadly.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Convinced my girlfriend to ditch Android for iOS and she hasn’t looked back. Android is great for many things, but iOS is just a better user experience when it comes to having a “secondary” device like a phone and tablet.

Also, now she’s in “the ecosystem” I can make better use of HomeKit as my smart home front end. I run most of the backend on Home Assistant but now I can do presence detection via Apple Home.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I have now tried to get financing at every place that offers in France, even tried outright just to rent a phone again, but REJECTED everywhere. :minos_sad:
Financing anything or getting any sort of credit is tough nowadays.

About 18 months ago I got a credit card with a £7000 limit and a 22 month interest free period.

Fast forward to April 2023, I closed that card as the balance was cleared and the offer had less than 6 months interest free left, and went with a new one with a different bank.

I got offered 17 months interest free and a £2000 credit limit, despite me earning more money and having fewer liabilities than I did 18 months ago.

It’s just a pain in the arse financing anything right now.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I don't want to say told you so, but I did tell you so. :cat-heart-blob:
To be fair, I needed the money and the plan was always to come back hahah.
I have now tried to get financing at every place that offers in France, even tried outright just to rent a phone again, but REJECTED everywhere. :minos_sad:
That sucks :( I hope you can find a solution soon

• Hug
Reactions: Le Pertti

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
Tried android once and the whole user experience/workflow/whatever you wanna call it felt terrible, i'm not moving from apple devices.
They're also the only devices I can reliably gift to parents and relatives without feeling like they're one step away from breaking something or getting their devices hacked or their data stolen every 6 months

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I refuse to give family tech support on non-Apple devices these days.

Works a treat because now I never have to give tech support.

Though I remember the dark days when my mum got tricked by Tesco Mobile into buying a Windows phone.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
My mom needs a windows pc for stuff but I already told my dad I'll get him a macbook (or anything apple really) in the future and replace his pc

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Tried android once and the whole user experience/workflow/whatever you wanna call it felt terrible, i'm not moving from apple devices.
They're also the only devices I can reliably gift to parents and relatives without feeling like they're one step away from breaking something or getting their devices hacked or their data stolen every 6 months
While it’s true that I picked a low budget phone, what’s more important to me is having devices I can rely on. Android feels like something’s going to break at any time, or that some dumbass background process will drain your battery when you’re not looking.
Premium Android phones might be better at this, but if I’m paying premium prices then I might justn pick a phone that can be sold for a good price down the line, compared to Android phone that no one wants once the new one is out.
I refuse to give family tech support on non-Apple devices these days.

Works a treat because now I never have to give tech support.

Though I remember the dark days when my mum got tricked by Tesco Mobile into buying a Windows phone.
My mom learned to use a phone once she got an iPhone, which is kind of a miracle on itself. Back when she had an Android or the dumb phone era, the struggle was real.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Now that I’m not PC gaming much I want to get a Mac. I want an iMac but I guess I can wait til the next release.

• Blobxorcism
Reactions: lashman
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Was close to get a MacBook Air but might as well wait if/when they release new iMacs.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I'm loving my Mac mini so much! I assume you have screen and everything else already, so Mac mini could be a good way to get into Macs. But since you already have a PC, a MacBook Air might be a better complement.
I do still have my PC but I’m going to dismantle it and sell the parts. I was also thinking about the Mac Mini as well!

• Comfy

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I think the Mini is a good buy. You can upgrade your display and compute independent of each other (within the realms of supported resolutions).

I’d get a Mac mini, but I’m moving away from Mac as my main daily driver. I love my iPhone and iPad, and my Mac is fine, but I want to move to Linux as my daily driver PC in the mid-to-long term. So for now, Windows while I start using apps that either run in Wine or natively.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I will go balls deep into the ecosystem so it’s Mac for me. Well except the Watch, got a Garmin recently and it’s a joy not having ti charge it everyday.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Already chose what I’m going to order, now I need that pesky money lmfao

• Gib

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
One thing one can't deny on android, they are so selling all of your data. I've been looking at options for phones and now all my ads in all places are about those exact same phones in the same places. And definitely didn't give any such permissions. Can't wait to be back with apple.

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
One thing one can't deny on android, they are so selling all of your data. I've been looking at options for phones and now all my ads in all places are about those exact same phones in the same places. And definitely didn't give any such permissions. Can't wait to be back with apple.
My android phone asked permissions for user data in order to use the calculator app. Why in the flying fuck.

• Blobxorcism
OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
What a bitter sweet thing this turned out to be, with a little bit of help from my now ex girlfriend(cause not related to this) and a loan from my mother I now have an iPhone 14!
Which color did you pick?

OP
NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I’m jealous!:D but I am really happy with the regular one but will try to go big next upgrade. As much as I loved the mini I think I do want big.
Supposedly the 16 will have an almost 7 inch screen, that shit is crazy, the Pro Max is already gigantic.

• Eyes

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
At this point if we get a mini iPhone with the iPhone 15 specs and improvements I'd consider getting a smaller phone.

Got an iPhone 13 now and I think the screen is a little too big, in all honesty.

I think the screen size problem gets solved by folding displays, however. Hoping Apple does this soon, though I wonder if they'll do an iPhone that unfolds into an iPad mini, because that means they don't sell an iPad mini.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Sometimes i wish a macbook was a viable alternative for gaming
I’ve given up trying to do games on my MacBook Pro. Even Civ VI runs like ass, so I’m not confident VII will be any better.

Honestly, I’m kinda done with macOS. I don‘t hate it but there’s little things Apple does that rub me the wrong way. Their High-DPI support is patchy if you don’t use a 16:9 or 16:10 display, game support is not good, and the whole experience of using the OS is just a little cumbersome these days.

My laptop is a secondary device so I’m in no rush to necessarily replace it, but I think I want to switch to Linux before too long.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
My experience with linux is always the same: a lot of small annoying things that turn into one giant pain in the ass
Yeah, that’s been my past experience. I think Steam Deck has impressed me enough that I’d like to give it another go sometime.

At this point all I need is a solid working version of Affinity and I’d be happy. Whether that’s native or by Proton/Wine I don’t much mind.

• This!
Reactions: lashman

ListeningGarden

目をそらした瞬間
Nov 12, 2018
macos is a dream to interface with for day-to-day, surface level things and a great creative tool, but it certainly sacrifices a lot of the baseline permissiveness of linux or the maturity as a gaming platform windows has

i've basically long made peace since my days of designing crossover/wineskin (pre-mountain lion) wrappers that gaming will never be a priority for the platform and at best we'll see a little more support between the ios/macos ecosystems now that there's greater uniformity between the hardware. i'm perfectly happy with mac being where i go to write, make music, design and edit various mediums. it's an Opinionated system, but i don't mind working within its desired limitations most of the time

though everyone should honestly have a thinkpad of some kind for distro-hopping and tinkering. as frustrating as major breakages can be on linux, it's impossible to beat for complete freedom to the end user

windows though...

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
That 15inch MacBook Air is calling me
It looks nice, but the lack of active cooling ultimately puts me off.

I know that’s a bonus for a lot of people and a passively cooled laptop is a dream for many, until they try to do something taxing and the system throttles quickly.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
While I am curious about the game mode as I mentioned, it turns out the biggest news by far that was kind of downplayed was the game porting thingie! Essentially proton. Feels like I never have to go back to windows!

can’t wait to start with the new macOS. While I can use it on my Mac mini, seems my 2017 MacBook Pro isn’t supported.:/