Community MetaSteam | March 2024 - Can we find Moominvalley in the Forbidden West?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
some people will be worried they won't be able to hide that game PS5 trophies to their friends. XD
ps: day one.

• Bonk
Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Ys X Clouded Leopard version:

The config doesn't seem to work at all.
Changing the controller assignment has no effect.
Game runs at 30 fps in the first area with monsters on a 3080 graphics card. Setting to any preset, or lowering settings changes nothing.
No keybind config in game? Console had this
:toucan:

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
It's an absolute train wreck of a project and I love it. Playing Persona 3 Reload and Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth back to back made me appreciate that SE went insane and didn't do a by the book remake.

I replayed the original a few months back and was surprised at how paper thin the characters were and how small it actually was. If FF7 Remake was just a 1:1 redo of the original but with modern graphics, I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much as I am. Sure, the game fits a very specific niche, but I fit that niche nicely and am happy with the end result.
Yes the worst thing they could have done would have been a 1:1 remake. Replaying the exact same game but with pretty graphics is so ridiculously boring and safe and if anything the 7R project and RE2/4 remakes proved how much more value can be had by being bold with classic games.

The thing with the FF7 games that people forget about because of the liberties they've taken with the main story at times is that it IS almost 1:1 for a huge portion of the games, down to keeping the smallest details people who aren't insane fans like me probably wouldn't notice (like keeping the coordinated button press minigame from mako reactor 5, or keeping exact dialogue lines the same for many moments). Like today I just watched Cait Sith do the same fortune telling thing he does when you first meet him in the original almost word for word! And a lot of what they kept they expanded on in the BEST way possible like the honeybee inn or the gold saucer or the junon parade section. The character writing in these games is something I didn't know SE had in them anymore and we'd lose most of that if people got their pure 1:1 remake wish.

And the thing is even if it was 1:1 they still wouldn't be able to fit it all in one game, not as a AAA project and maybe not even with a AA project. People really take for granted just how freaking huge and stuffed with content these games were. Yeah we have 100 hour games nowadays but a lot of that is repetitive bloat that is so low effort it's almost procedurally generated. PS1 jrpgs were 50+ hour games without having that kind of "content", they were stuffed with towns, story scenes, absurd amounts of side content. You're not going to get relatively modern graphics and rebuilding all those towns so that they make sense (OG Kalm is only like 5 buildings...) and tweaking the combat and minigames so they don't control like ass like many of them in OG ff7 did all in one game.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I’m sorry but it’s a bit disingenuous saying people expected a 1:1 remake. I wanted something that remade the original story. But without any of this fate nonsense with the spirits trying to push things in a certain direction.

The RE remakes, I feel, got it spot on (except for 3). Nothing major changed in those stories, the overall beats stayed the same but tweaks where made to the timings, the minor details and characters.

however what I definitely didn’t want was the bloated time waste of a game that I got. Twice I have tried to play it and twice I got to Wall Street and both times I just gave up around that point.

look I am not a traditionalist by any means but what I was given in FF7 Remake was the furthest thing from what I wanted.

Reactions: Arc

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

INSIDE INFORMATION: Embracer Group AB (“Embracer”) has today entered into an agreement to divest selected assets, from the operative group Saber Interactive for a purchase price of USD 247 million (SEK 2,527 million), including assumed earnout liabilities of USD 44 million (SEK 450 million) but before any additional consideration. Through this divestment, Embracer ceases all operations in Russia, while immediately improving cash flow, reducing capex, net debt and future liabilities. The buyer is Beacon Interactive (the “Buyer”), a company controlled by Saber Interactive co-founder Matthew Karch.
The transaction in detail
The assets from the operative group Saber Interactive included in the transaction are:

All Saber branded studiosNimble Giant
DIGICSaber Interactive Inc.
Fractured ByteSandbox Strategies
Mad Head GamesSlipgate
New World Interactive3D Realms
All owned or licensed IP and related liabilities owned or held by the studios and entities listed.All contractor relationships relating to the studios and entities listed.
All Russian employees have been transferred to new entities that are wholly owned by local management that work exclusively with the Buyer. Embracer will initiate a liquidation process to dissolve any Russian companies in accordance with Russian legislation.

Embracer will retain the following studios and companies (subject to the option agreements for 4A Games and Zen Studios):

34 Big Things (Italy)Shiver (USA)
4A Games (Malta, Ukraine)Snapshot (Bulgaria)
Aspyr (USA)Tripwire (USA)
Beamdog (Canada)Tuxedo Labs (Sweden)
Demiurge (USA)Zen Studios (Hungary)

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

For some reason the collection is going to be discontinued in Japan. I wonder why

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Not sure if Epic butt-kissing Matthew Karch is better than Embracer. But at least this deal increases the chance for these studios to survive.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Having played around 20 hours of Marvel's Midnight Suns, I feel i might need s short break to not burn out on it.

Maybe a racing game? I really loved the Need For Speed games back in the 360 era. Any recommendations for arcadey racers like that?

Reactions: Ge0force and Cacher

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Having played around 20 hours of Marvel's Midnight Suns, I feel i might need s short break to not burn out on it.
I'm considering a break as well. The combat is amazing, but all this bloat between the missions is so bland and unnecessarily time-consuming. I've been skipping most of the dialogues the past 3 days.

Reactions: FunnyJay and QFNS

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
The thing with the FF7 games that people forget about because of the liberties they've taken with the main story at times is that it IS almost 1:1 for a huge portion of the games, down to keeping the smallest details people who aren't insane fans like me probably wouldn't notice
For me the problem is exactly here: they kept a bunch of parts 1:1 to the original, but then completely changed others. There was no reason to (I'll spoiler everything just to make sure) make Avalanche guilt free by making Shinra be behind the reactor explosion. There was no reason make the plate fall but somehow allow all those people you met to escape successfully, there was no reason to change Dyne's death, there was no reason to have all those Zack parts (which end up being even more pointless as so far they went nowhere), there was no reason to remove the "horror" elements from the original (president shinra dead with the masamune stuck in his back, Jenova melting every sailor on the boat), and obviously the bigger issues of them all: there was no reason to have a bunch of time ghosts everywhere, there was no reason to fight Sephiroth as the final boss twice, and there was no reason to change Aerith's death
Most of these changes feel like they exist only because wanted the game to have a lower ESRB/PEGI, others feel like they wanted to divert even more compared to the original but then got cold feet (like everything about Jessie, Biggs and Wedge which went nowhere in Rebirth) and changed their mind with Rebirth (Imran said the same thing on the other place, that originally Rebirth was way more different compared to the final release). These things may be small but I fully believe they can sour the experience, especially since so much was kept the same (and honestly everything about the Whispers is just ultra confusing for newcomers making it harder for them to play the Remake series as their first entry)
I understand a 1:1 remake would be boring except... no actually I don't agree at all. Let's get the first thing out of the way: Remake Intergrade costs 80 fucking euros here, Rebirth (or Rebirth Intergrade when it comes to Steam) will similarly cost 80€, and the 3rd part will obviously cost the same. That's a whopping 240 euros to get the same story you can already get for 13€ on almost every platform except stretched into 3 games and exclusive to a 500€ box (unless you wait an unspecified amount of time)
Then there is the fact FFVII is a special case among every other mainline FF (and many spinoffs) which I will explain with a single picture

VII is the only remaininng FF whose localization situation is like this, and let's be serious everyone knows its english translation is ass. Every other FF from I to XVI not only is translated in way more languages, but the translation quality is also much higher. Yes the original I, IV and VI translations had their problems too but those problems have been solved between all of their remasters and remakes, while VIII and onward had better and more localizations since the beginning. The remake series could have fixed this but because of the changes above it doesn't, meaning the original game is still impossible to play unless you have a good understanding of the english language (or japanese)
And obviously there is the elephant in the room: why couldn't they just remake the game as it is? Why make all areas bigger? Why make the game open world with Ubisoft towers? Why not simply remake the graphics but keep the original style? Hell why not just remake the game as a single title? What exactly makes the original FFVII "unremakable"? The game is not that massive and doesn't have all that content compared to other games that were fully remade without issues even on a PS5. And it's not like past FF remakes didn't expand on the story or the characters too. You see this is the issue: doing one thing doesn't make doing another impossible. On Steam alone we have remakes and remasters being sold at the same time as their original versions (see System Shock, or the first 3 TR just to make recent examples). Doing a remaster doesn't mean you will never be able to remake the game in the future. Square could have made a FFVII remaster targeting lower end platforms (kinda like Ever Crisis) which would both solve the translation issues outlined above and make the original fans happy while at the same time work on a full blown expanded remake or half-sequel that changes everything they want to change specifically to target newcomers who refuse to play anything unless it looks AAA
But currently the FFVII remake project for me feels like Square wants to make their cake and eat it too. They want "please" fans while at the same time find a way to sell the game in 3 full priced parts. They want to keep the original story and make it soo the game is still followed by Advent Children while at the same time change anything they find unconvenient or they just feel like changing. They want to cash on nostalgia but at the same time want as many newcomers too. They want to have the game have the bestest PS5 graphics while at the same time look ultra washed up. And with all the time its taking to make the 3 remakes I wouldn't be surprised if the last part targets the PS6, asking for fans to also buy 3 whole console generations just to have a full game on top of buying 3 full priced games

Any other company would be raked if they tried to do this. Even Nintendo never had the balls to do this. Square should not be an exception. And honestly the (lack of) news on how Rebirt is doing makes me feel FFVII fans aren't that happy about the remake trilogy either

ramoisdead

MetaMember
Nov 5, 2018

Crow Country gets a May 9th release date.

Another May release in Read Only Memories: Neurodiver is coming out on May 16th.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Crow Country gets a May 9th release date.

Another May release in Read Only Memories: Neurodiver is coming out on May 16th.
Really looking forward to ROM Neurodiver. Loved the first game in the series, and the demo to Neurodiver was great

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Not sure if Epic butt-kissing Matthew Karch is better than Embracer. But at least this deal increases the chance for these studios to survive.
Not sure if that's really the case, I'd say the chances are about the same. I can't really think of anything that Saber has published in the past 5 years that's actually been terribly successful. Looking at the studios that are going with them and considering that their management will stay the same, I don't know man. Outlook not so good.

• Sad
Reactions: Ge0force

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
MGS1 has aged horribly. Skipping to the best MGS game - MGS 2
Yeah, it was surprisingly hard to go back to. At first I thought I was just rusty from not having played it in over a decade but then I got to MGS2 and realized no, it's just MGS1 that controls like ass. MGS2 and 3 are still great, though.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
MGS1 has aged horribly. Skipping to the best MGS game - MGS 2
What?! didn't feel that at all. Enjoyed the shit out of that game even though I didn't grow up with it since I mostly played licensed games on my PS1 when I was a kid. MGS1 is one of the PS1 games that has aged more gracefully.

Reactions: yuraya

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

I never actually beat any MGS game so don't take my post seriously. I just know people have a hate boner for that game.
I really liked that one. I think people just disliked the cutscenes that were more inspired by later games than what the original was doing.
Given its PS1 origins, it's not hard to see that the original is probably hard for many people to go back to. I personally don't mind old games and can scale my expectations accordingly, but it's ultimately not something super accessible.

Reactions: thekeats1999

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
🌻 The Steam Spring Sale has started 🌻

You can claim a FREE sticker each day during the sale by browsing categories such as this one.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I checked Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story. I thought it'd have all his games in one package, maybe sans the very latest, Akka Arrh, but it basically only has up to Tempest 2000 on Jaguar, a Gridrunner remaster & no newer stuff it seems? No Tempest 4000, Polybius, Moose Life or whatever he's done in 30 years? Weird...

Last edited:

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Alright, my friends and I got some tickets for the FFVII Rebirth concert in November.

So yeah, Square better have that port ready in 3 months because I swear to God if I get spoiled by a concert of all fucking things. :upside-down-face:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Even back in the day, MGS1 played like a clunkier Pacman.
And shooting things is extremely rough by 98 standards.

But to be honest, playing a lot of emulated and modded old games... the PS1/N64 is straight up horrifyingly bad, by far the worst gen of videogames, you'd have to go back to Atari 2600 to find games that play worse than the late 90s ones.
It's in large part the jump to 3D that ruined everything, but it's also that everything ran slower and 60 FPS became a miracle, on top of ridiculous load times (again, not unlike the very old times on cassette) due to their poor use of the formats (N64 less so obviously, but that came at the cost of even more IQ), and 3D controls just weren't known yet for most games, let alone camera controls.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I was watching this video about history of RPGs - absolutely amazing video btw, recommended watch

It's in large part the jump to 3D that ruined everything
And in that video it was very interesting to see how early 3D did actually ruin classic RPG companies like Origin or Interplay.
RPGs in the late 90s were pretty much dead, until 2D Fallout and especially Baldur's Gate revived them again.
Early 3D era was really rough.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
A lot of old games suck shit anyway.

Last year I completed GTA Vice City and if it wasn’t thanks to nostalgia and that I know the game by heart, I would have abandoned it 30 minutes in.

Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.